Librarian. Cat Lover. Clay Aiken Fan (among many others). Life is good.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Chameleon

The definition of chameleon From Merriam-Webster Online:

1 : any of a family (Chamaeleontidae) of chiefly arboreal Old World lizards with prehensile tail, independently movable eyeballs, and unusual ability to change the color of the skin
2 a : a person given to often expedient or facile change in ideas or character b : one that is subject to quick or frequent change especially in appearance

Look at this wallpaper, created by the person who coordinates Meerkat Chitchat (Click on the picture to get the full view):



I believe I saved this one in March 2005 – the most current picture in it seems to be from the BAF benefit in Hawaii. It’s mind boggling to me to see these changes in Clay Aiken’s appearance, all in one photo.

Add to this:
From the Jukebox Tour, photo by neverstopaiken,

and:

From the Joyful Noise 2005 Tour, photo by Farouche.

These images were the images that were freshest in many-a-mind, both fan and non-fan. The spikes and color were identifiable as CLAY. His hair became his trademark, and it was discussed forever on message boards. Especially when it seemed to change every other day…just like a chameleon.

Then, a few weeks ago, this guy

Appeared. Whoa. That’s some long hair dude. However, most of the fans wrote this look off as “he’s not playing the celebrity here.” Almost everyone figured that when Clay would come back into the public eye, the trademark would return.

So -- when this gu...man


Made his grand entrance on the American Idol finale to surprise his biggest fan…I truly believe there was a collective gasp across the nation. So much so, that a new catchphrase was born:

THAT’S CLAY AIKEN?


What has been fascinating to me is that it took the diehard fans aback as much as the people who only remember him from AI. I myself knew he changes his appearance all the time, and yet I was stunned to see the man with the confidence and the HAIR. The combination turned out to be lethal for me.

In the meantime, I’m going to continue to watch this chameleon. You know why? Artquest wrote this the other day on the message board I most frequently haunt:

The wrapping is different, but the gift is the same.

Amen, Professor artquest.

For another look at a different and truly wonderful feature of Clay Aiken, visit A Southern Girl’s Guide to Almost Anything.




Technorati tags:

6 Comments:

Blogger Southern Girl said...

Mmmm, great post! I'll tell you, I'm head over heels over that guy in the second to last picture.

Okay, okay...I'm crazy about all of them. ;)

Thanks for the shout-out!

3:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was "over" old Clay and preferred the new look. But I have to face reality. I love him in all of them, too. Thanks for sharing.

4:58 PM

 
Blogger Jemock said...

Oooooh. Vocabulary words AND Clay Aiken. It's a Jemock magnet, I tell ya.

5:05 PM

 
Blogger feelingthejoy said...

Hee..it's one of the best things about Clay...he's always different. No time to get bored.

8:37 PM

 
Blogger TheClayBlog said...

It is amazing that he could shock us too! I'm thrilled he can still do that!

12:04 AM

 
Blogger sw said...

Hee, Clay's like our hero with a thousand faces, isn't he?

8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home